Thursday, January 11, 2007

Chanel fashion or forever?

This blog is dedicated to my darling sister who will always manage to surprise me through proving a point without meaning to do so.

Last night at dinner my family got into a discussion about what Sera (my eldest sister) wanted for her 21st birthday mum and dad want to get her something that she can keep and mark the occasion and when Sera mentioned the Chanel earrings she longed for mum and dad put in their say with a ‘no’ because they believe its just a label in which you are paying for. Now I don’t mean this is a harsh way but Sera got frustrated trying to explain to my parents, who are anything but materialistic, that to her the two little c’s represented more then a brand it represented art, I laughed harder then I have in a long time, then I got to thinking perhaps shes right…perhaps Coco is an artist.

I'm a firm believer that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all things have a certain element of beauty to them if we are willing to broaden our minds and view them in a certain way. So if a fashion designer can have the same passion for their work as a painter or poet who's to say that what they produce is not as valuable? Sure a person may argue that a fashion designer may mass produce what they create but then again isn't it the sense of having something ‘beautiful’ that makes it rare and worth the big dollars people are willing to spend?

For me I am not one for labels but the more I think about Sera’s point the more it makes sense, something is defined as rare and beautiful by the population that view it in that way. Now come on ladies how many of you have sat and watched Sex and the City and not dreamt about purchasing a pair of Jimmy Choo heals because you see a trendy great character adoring them?

So perhaps instead of dismissing the thought of investing lots of money into something that can be copied for a lesser price think about the lack of value it will have. When you purchase a piece of art that to you is beautiful you don’t want a copy scan and print you want the real thing to be able to appreciate it.

Perhaps from now on I will stop judging my sister for ‘throwing’ her dollars away and start seeing it as her own investment and who knows, maybe I’ll even stop almost fainting when I hear the prices…if she realises that its not about impressing other and valuing it for what it is of course.

An unexpected lesson learnt, to appreciate something from someone else’s perspective, something that I could only learn from the fashion critique’ in my home, thanks Sera.

11 Comments:

At 1:50 pm, January 11, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

(this is what Sera wrote to me)

Ohh...fatty that was so sweet.
& im so prou dof you for knowing who Jimmy Choo is!!!

Thank you- Im glad you understand me now.m Me buying these expensive things is cause i've had it drilled into me that it's an asset & its precious. Its not about impressing others- but impressing myself. I could go out & buy the fake $30 version...but I wont feel right about it....its like you said would you prefer an original picasso so some mass produced copy???

I'll get these earrings & I know people will look at me like they're fake....but I know its real & thats the main thing.

 
At 2:15 pm, January 11, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Sera, i tend to pay more for something i really like than less for a cheap copy of it. Take your picasso example, the only reason i would get a copy of one of his works is because the originals would probably be impossible to get & cost more than i could ever afford :P

My grandmother left all her daughters & granddaughters her old jewelery in her will, they are still worth alot & are a wonderful investment for generations!! some of them i think belonged to her mother or grandmothers too :} Maybe one day little Seras can inherit these & were them with pride too? :}

 
At 3:43 pm, January 11, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes it is art because Sex and the City says so! I've been watching it non-stop last few days...ok...so just for a couple of hours of an evening after doing chem homework. BUT STILL! Great show...

I was thinking the other day; it's unfair how artists have their work admired - yet science is my passion and no one thinks I'm a "genius" for it (like artistic genius) or admires it. People don't get creativity in the science field. The only thing I could do to get noticed is cure cancer...HA!

So it depends what you classify art. Art may just be whatever you consider beautiful. But I don't see why "art" has to have such a big price tag when we are surrounded by it.

 
At 10:04 am, January 12, 2007, Blogger Unknown said...

If your willing to pay the extravagant prices for nice things then go nuts. Personally, i love spending lots of money on nice clothes and jewellery (just cant afford to right now). It's worth it to look good. :)

 
At 3:02 pm, January 12, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember when u came to school with your sister's $84 purse..... i coudlnt believe.. one for the fact that it cost so much, and 2 coz it was 84!!! heehee

i love ur blogs they always speak so much truth! my liteel brother is obsessed with these nerdy cardgame things and xbox ..... so he spends all his money on it, which i think is a waste, but for him its like the best thing ever. i dont get it, but yeah as u said beauty is in the eye of the beholder!! :) hes prolyl just as confused at me and whatever i spend my money on..... come to think of it, what DO i spend my money on? LOL i have no idea.

Neway, i hope ur good darlin!
Jenn xo

 
At 10:30 pm, January 14, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You totally have a point. I guess all sides have some point when it comes to these things... with Chanel and Burberry and Armani or whatever, they are not massively common and accessible to most people, so they are considered pretty special I guess. But now we're seeing all the Lacoste and stuff all over the place, not to mention ALL those fake Louis Vuitton bags. Such a turn off. But I get what you're saying.

When people say you're only paying for a brand... why is that a bad thing? If you like a certain brand, then go for it!

You're so smart :)

However.. working in a sunglasses store... I have to say that I can't see any justification for $800 Bvlgari shades... they are the same as the $500 Versace ones which are the same as the $199 other ones...and it goes on lol. But oh well. If ya got the money... then I dunno. I've never had that much money to blow lol. I'll let ya know when I do!

But, hell even I wanted a pair of Jimmy Choos after Sex and The City lol! Not that I'd wear them haha...

What would be your most luxurious purchase? Is it something you would like to do, or is the thought of it unappealing? My regular things would just be my cologne-y-type-thing from Armani (Acqua di Gio. LOVES IT). Apart from that I'm too poor! or saving for other stuff...

 
At 8:32 pm, January 19, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, to stop judging in general is a very healthy life choice.

However, these 'designer' brands are products that generally do have a certain air of , for want of a better phrase, 'intelligent design' applied during their creation, which in many cases can make them pleasing to the senses..

The large amounts of currency that are asked for them though, are hilarious.
They are so expensive for the simple reason of creating an illusory air of specialness around them, in order that the person being advertised to will feel somewhat incomplete as a being without having possesion of said article.

We are being hoodwinked subconciously into believing that these products are somehow more special than they truly are, which is pretty funny when you remove yourself from the subject/object field and look at it from a new dimension.....

but hey, different strokes for different folks, even if at core we are truly all one conciousness....

xox
Spray

 
At 8:05 am, January 20, 2007, Blogger Ciaran said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:06 am, January 20, 2007, Blogger Ciaran said...

kool post
well done
whats up belinda

 
At 3:24 am, January 21, 2007, Blogger Ciaran said...

AWSOME post Belinda
Very entertaining to read.

 
At 11:58 am, January 24, 2007, Blogger Urkat said...

This post reminds me how much time we all waste trying to convince others to agree with us. On the one hand, we all live together and want to both understand and be understood. On the other hand, it doesn't matter whether others agree with us as long as we have good reasons for feeling as we do. I say we should simply state our case and let others decide for themselves--and try to be as independent as we can.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home