Saturday, July 15, 2006

My recipe for traditional insanity

r First you get a nonno with the knowledge of perfect sausage and salami making, add a crazy nonna who swears like mad but has a few tricks up her sleaves. You also add a quiet uncle, a crazy Francis (my dad), a photo opp mad me, to a cold garage, take the whole day to let this mixture simmer and by the end you should have a whole pile of sausage and salami (home made style) and that knowledge that 30g s/k m=good…or for those of you who don’t speak Francis; 30 grams of salt per every kilo of meat equals goodness to last a long while. All of that is a yearly tradition for my Italian family and it is seriously the best of fun. It’s one of those things I cherished growing up, as a kid the 5am wake up was great, I was so excited, I couldn’t wait to help out and be with my family. To this day I still love it, this tradition will live on after my nonni pass away because I will always remember what I was taught, the good time I had and my nonna’s nagging about how everyone didn’t eat enough, that’s what I call my recipe for traditional insanity.

6 Comments:

At 4:19 pm, July 15, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes its all to familiar for me although as you know we dont take it to the extent of sausages just sauce.. its so fun to make a mess and have fun with family at least once a year.. damn you for not inviting me along haha just a joke
love you

 
At 5:44 pm, July 15, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds extremely familiar Bee... although it only involved sausages on the rare occasion... but sauce making was a twice yearly tradition before my Nonno passed away. Although thankfully we never had the 5am wakeups.

 
At 10:13 pm, July 15, 2006, Blogger Urkat said...

I'm jealous. I love Italian cooking and especially homemade sausage. I spent two years in Italy and still feel connections there through a 1000 mile long umbilical cord of spaghetti. Mangia, mangia..music to my ears.

 
At 12:35 pm, July 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude thats insane, why would you make them if you can just buy them, your dad looks crazy, in a good way but crazy none the less

 
At 5:10 pm, July 21, 2006, Blogger Sladed said...

This treasure, this memory, will only grow in value as time goes by.

 
At 6:40 pm, July 21, 2006, Blogger Kaz :) said...

why not buy them??? are you insane?? you have obviously been deprived of a decent home made sausage - there is nothing to compare - buy them indeed - what rot!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home