Sunday, June 11, 2006

My family are people too

I was raised with an all Italian background, and I was brought up with, not only the old Italian traditions and ways but also the implication that you should have respect for your elders and your family and even if they are wrong, however I was born and raised here in Australia with the attitude to be my own person and do my own thing whilst still having respect. Over the last few years I have grown with the knowledge, that my family and elders, although I love and respect them, are just people too, people can be stupid, ignorant and purely impossible to deal with, and with this in the back of my mind I have stood up to my family and elders time and time again. No matter how many times I get yelled out and put down I pick myself up again because I was born with a choice and the freedom to express my emotions and opinions, no one can hold me back when I have to get something off my chest. Tonight one of my parents demonstrated the cowardice of respecting your elders despite that what this elder does to one of my parents causes them great grief and in turn this parent lashes out at me and my sisters, not physically or even verbally, just gives us the vibe of superiority because they gave us life. It makes me sick, I had enough, tonight I turned around and said "you are jealous of me because I have the balls to do what you cant, just because you are my parent doesn't mean your not also a person, people make mistakes, grow some balls and stop being hurt by stupid people." it was hard and it hurt me because I know the suffering my parent has endured because of this traditional way of thinking. I am lucky because I have all the freedom's in the world and my parents are more educated then there forefathers and do not hold this tradition to such a high standard. I draw the line at being silent for respect, respect for a person who cannot return it to me because of my age, gender and family relation. I'm always going to argue and fight against ignorant and stupid people because I know that my family are just people too.

10 Comments:

At 9:03 pm, June 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

u said it bee!

nobodys tits are bigger than annettes

 
At 2:19 am, June 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You did the right thing Belinda...always stand up when you know you're right :)

 
At 8:46 am, June 13, 2006, Blogger Kaz :) said...

I agree, I am all for respecting elders etc. But command respect myself and if their skewed vision won't allow that, then they will always have a problem with me. If you stand up for yourself by speaking your truth in a civillised way, then that is your right, one that not many have the guts to exercise. Well done!

 
At 11:49 am, June 14, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't really have balls do you? That would be kinda scary.

COming from a background where I have had a somewhat abusive family life I totally respect what you just did. With all that has happened since that just keep in the back of your mind not to attack them, rather just re itterate your opinion.

 
At 5:27 pm, June 15, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't help almost feeling sorry for the elderly nowdays. In situations like this where it's "tradition" to respect them, they really do get the shit end of the deal. They would've had to grow up doing whatever their elders told them and to put up with all kinds injustice and now they have us standing up for ourselves. But i totally agree with what you did munchkin; just cos they're older and our family doesn't give them the right to be nasty and get away with what they want. Keep up the good work toots :)

 
At 6:37 pm, June 18, 2006, Blogger Omochi said...

Way to go! I totally agree with you.

I think regardless of age, respect has to be earned. You respect me, I respect you kind of thing. As long as you're not a total ass we should be fine. :) There's a big difference between having respect and being walked all over.

It's hard to change a person's point of view though, especially when it's how they've been taught and how they've always thought. In the time our parents grew up, things like this were the norm. Hard to kick the habit now I guess and get out of that mindset. Maybe they just don't want a confrontation or to cause friction? I don't know.

I love your blog by the way. Keep on truckin'. *thumbs up*

 
At 12:59 am, June 24, 2006, Blogger brad said...

Elders deserve respect because they are wiser and do things that *command* respect. If they don't do that, then, well, sometimes you have to call them on it, like you did.

 
At 10:13 pm, September 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mate your got problems get over it live life to the full get everything off that chest of yours.
*thumps down* slut face

 
At 10:17 pm, September 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

belinda i think that you have done a wrong move on sleep with the gay guy next door lolz just joking call me on the kids help line.

 
At 10:19 pm, September 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

let it be honey

 

Post a Comment

<< Home